Can we get married at St Mary’s?
We will do everything we can to make it possible. There are certain legal preliminaries to satisfy if you are to be married here, but we’ll be glad to talk those through with you. If you live in the parish, or if you are a regular worshipper and member of the community, or if you have some connection with the church the answer is likely to be ‘yes’.
You can marry in St Mary’s if you can show:-
That one of you:
- has at any time lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months or
- was baptised in the parish or
- was prepared for confirmation in the parish or
- has at any time regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months or
That one of your parents, at any time after you were born: –
- has lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months or
- has regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months or
That one of your parents or grandparents:
- was married in the parish
Even if you cannot demonstrate any of the above connections, we want to help you explore whether it may still be possible for you to marry in St Mary’s. Talk to the Vicar well in advance to discuss the options open to you.
Marriage and the law
Because marriage is both a spiritual union and a legal contract, the answer to the question also involves English law. Fr Andrew, the Vicar of the parish will explain to you whether you will be married ‘after banns’, ‘by Bishop’s licence’ or ‘by Superintendent Registrar’s Certificate’ – and we can support you in making sure that, once we agree you can be married here, you fulfil the legal requirements. In 2015 the law was changed to create a different route to gaining permission to be married for couples where one (or both) are non-UK or non-EU passport holders; this new process can, in certain circumstances, take much longer than before – and so advanced planning is required.
The first thing to do is to arrange to meet the Vicar of the Parish, Fr Andrew Downes. He it is who must agree to your being married here. He can be contacted on 01932 779431 or email: email@example.com